Friday, February 26, 2010

Bathroom renovation: how to remove painted-over wall paper glue without damaging the drywall?

Hi, We just bought a condo, and have very, very little money to renovate the bathroom.





All four walls look like they at one time had thick wall paper on them, which was later torn off. Then, someone painted right over the wallpaper glue. The texture is horrible and flaking off all over the place.





My worry is that if I sand it, won't I damage the drywall beneath the glue? What is the technique to adequately remove the painted over glue so that I can paint it fresh?





Thank you for your help!Bathroom renovation: how to remove painted-over wall paper glue without damaging the drywall?
Use fabric softener and water, mixed 3 parts water to 1 part fs. Spray on the walls (a garden sprayer or spray bottle will do the trick), let it sit for a few minutes, spray again and scrape off. For walls, we use a hand scraper. You can find them at Lowe's or Home Depot next to the floor scrapers. This should get the glue off with minimal damage to your drywall.Bathroom renovation: how to remove painted-over wall paper glue without damaging the drywall?
Vinegar should work. Or just go to a hardware store and I am sure they have something you can use.
I had the same problem in my bathroom, I used fabric softener and water. It came right off.

No comments:

Post a Comment