Friday, February 26, 2010

Will masking tape tear painted drywall?

I'm under contract to purchase my very first house. I saw a picture somewhere (can't remember where) of a room painted dark with white stripes every couple of feet or so. I liked the look, and was wondering if I could use masking tape to create that look in my bathrooms and/or dining room. The rooms were already painted with a flat beige paint by the previous owners, and I was going to put up a dark earthy orange. I know the shade of beige that is up there will match the orange really well. But I'm afraid that masking tape might pull up the beige paint, or possibly even tear the drywall. Does anyone know of a way I can prevent this? Does speed matter here, where as the less time the masking tape is on the wall, the better my chances of taking it off without problems?Will masking tape tear painted drywall?
use blue painters tape. Also,to keep the paint from bleeding, after you put the tape up the way you want it, paint a light coat of paint over the tape edge, this way when you paint the full strip and pull the tape off you will have clean straight lines (I learned this the hard way)Will masking tape tear painted drywall?
I wouldn't use masking tape as it could damage the wall. There is special tape called Painters tape in the paint department of all stores that sell paint. These days it is blue. Be sure to ask how long to leave the tape on before tearing it away. Too soon and it will fringe off your new paint job. Too long and it becomes a bit difficult to take off and could also damage the new paint.
Masking tape is designed to be very low tack; i.e. it comes off easily without pulling paint or wallpaper away. It certainly wouldn't damage drywall. It wouldn't pull the paint away unless the paint was already flaking off; in which case it would need re-doing anyway.
They make some really good masking tape these days. I wouldn't use the regular tan masking tape. Use the blue and you shouldn't have a problem.
Most paint and hardware stores carry ';Painters Masking Tape';, it is green in color, comes in various widths, and it is easy to remove for up to 36 hours.
If you use the 3m white tape it won't damage the drywall, if you need more adhesion use the blue painters tape, both will work for the design you have in mind.
go to dollaqr tree or any local dollar store and buy the 1 inch masking tape . reason being that it is so cheap that there isnt enough of a quality glure to pull any paint off
YES, it will. Paint/wallpaper/drywall will tear. Speed will have very little or no effect.


Use painter's tape - the blue stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment