Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How can I safely remove wallpaper from drywall that has not been primed or painted first?

A year ago, my husband and I purchased a home that had been foreclosed. Well, the people who owned it before us left several projects unfinished. One of those is the living/dining room. It has been wallpapered, but crown molding isn't finished. Anyway, I want to now remove that wallpaper and paint my walls. My problem is, they pasted the wallpaper directly to the drywall...they did not prime or paint the drywall first. How can I safely remove the wallpaper without damaging the drywall? We have a scorer and the spray and have removed wallpaper from several other rooms (they were wallpapering fools I think!!! lol ). I do not want to paint over this wallpaper if I don't have to....Thanks to anyone who can help us with the problem....How can I safely remove wallpaper from drywall that has not been primed or painted first?
This is a problem. I can tell you what to use, but no matter what you do the drywall will still be damaged. And if you want the paint job to look nice... you might just have to replace some of the drywall.





Use CHOMP wallpaper remover. Buy the concentrated formula but when mixing it with water add extra CHOMP. Then follow the directions on the bottle for wallpaper removal.


Drywall that is not water rated cannot stand up to dampness or anything. That's why we paint or add wallpaper it actully protects the drywall besides looking nice.


Unfortunatly, without steam or wallpaper remover, the paper will not come off easily. If you use a putty knife, this can leave nasty holes in the wall. Either way you're looking at replacing what the last owners did not do right at all.How can I safely remove wallpaper from drywall that has not been primed or painted first?
';Repair'; damaged drywall without replacing ...


1. WASH with the least amount of moisture (or dry as you go)


2. DRY several hours


3. SEAL


4. plasters or multi-paint techniques


- one wall I painted blue, added clouds and water waves, then hung a dolphin mirror. imperfections are unnoticeable.

Report Abuse



OK very simple get a squirt bottle at like Wall-mart and a little scraper and you fill the squirter with hot/worm watter and you spray it on the walls and it it like loosins it up and you can actually pull the wall paper off but inder is like the exxis and you spray that down and you use the little scraper to scrape off the exis glue/paper thats on the wall
this is a long process, steam and scrape, you can put a sealant on it though and paint over the wallpaper.
i know that there is a product you can buy at most home supply stores that will remove wallpaper but i am not sure it will not damage the drywall. your best bet is to ask the people in the home supply store ( Lowe's or Home Depot or any of of the big ones) and they can usually give you good advice on nearly anything. good luck with your project.
I had the same problem in this old house when I started to fix it up. The house was built in 1948 and it still had the original wall paper.





I had to rent a steamer from the local tool rental place and it took me about one WEEK to take the wallpaper off of EACH ROOM... it's slow but it can be done... just steam and scrape and steam and scrape and eventually it's done.
I'm removing wallpaper border in every room of my home! My husband didn't have as much trouble with the kitchen, then we started on the livingroom last week. I went to lowes and bought a steamer for $94.00....you can buy the $50 one but the $94 steamer had attachments to clean your floor the grill,lots of uses and it has a hose 10 feet long. I hold the steamer on a section for about 20 seconds then he started scraping. Since my livingroom had a flat paint it was like paper glued to paper! The steamer I bought is made by wagner, worth every penny. If you buy the chemicals it ads up fast.
  • hardware
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment