Friday, February 26, 2010

Will drywall stains bleed through paint too?

I just moved into an old house and after stripping through layers of wallpaper I'm plastering over the drywall. I noticed as the spackle dried that it was absorbing some sort of pigment from the drywall and now has these wavy light brown stains. If I paint directly onto this spackle are the stains going to bleed through the paint too? I don't want to waste a ton of time and paint if I don't have to, and the guy at the hardware store said I wouldn't need primer, is this correct? The paint I intend to us is a latex satin-finish interior paint if that helps.Will drywall stains bleed through paint too?
I would go ahead and get a primer. You never can tell if the stains will bleed through into the paint. If you get a primer it will block off and seal that stain so that it can't. Even if you didn't need it for the stain you will get better coverage and adhesion when you paint over the primer.Will drywall stains bleed through paint too?
I would use primer - they have some that are made specifically to block stains.





I have had stains (in my case, magic marker from my daughter) bleed through the paint. Better to use the primer, and not take a chance on having to paint twice.
buy some spray shellac put two light coats on the stains prime or not than paint
You might need to use primer. I just went through the same thing
you need to buy this stuff called Kilz. it will cover anything. it's like a primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment