Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do I repair and paint over damaged drywall?

I love the red paint in my new kitchen. However I hate the bright white chair rail. When I started to remove it, I noticed it has been glued in places.. The rail is 36'; up and the paint is the same (top %26amp; bottom)


Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. It just seems like the rails are out of place on the solid color wall. I could paint them, but I can't seem to come up with any fresh ideas. My kitchen/dining are is not that big either. Approx: 10'X20' together. Thanks in advance:)How do I repair and paint over damaged drywall?
Pry the chair rail off. Chunks of drywall will come with it, which is no big deal. Once the rail is gone, take some lightweight joint compound. Fill each hole with mud, packing it in tightly. Drag the knife along the surface to remove excess. Let it dry overnight.





The next day, take some of the mud and thin it down slightly with water. Apply a second coat to the holes, to fill the shrinkage from the day before. Try to get it as smooth as you can, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Allow to dry overnight.





Take a piece of sandpaper and sand the joints flush to the rest of the wall. If there are any cracks, apply another thinned coat. Let dry, sand, prime, and you are ready for paint. You will most likely have to repaint the entire kitchen, in order to blend the repair in to the rest. Red is a bear to match. Hope this helps.How do I repair and paint over damaged drywall?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zop6ND1h鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment