Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do I get the paint on the drywall above my gas fireplace to dry? Quality paint used, heat seems factor?

The gas fireplace is set in the corner of the room surrounded by drywall. I painted the drywall on the front and top of the fireplace. The front dried fine but the top is still tacky. I think it is due to the heat of the fireplace because the top surface feels warm as the pilot light is always on. Is there a sealer or something I can use to protect the paint from coming off?How do I get the paint on the drywall above my gas fireplace to dry? Quality paint used, heat seems factor?
I'm not sure, but your problem may not be that the paint is not drying... (well, drying through solvent evaporation)





It is possible that the heat from your pilot light is actually rendering your paint into a viscous state... remember, there are heat ';lamps'; and guns that can be purchased to remove old paint.





You may want to consider a tile surface, or check with your local paint store (NOT lowes or HD, I think you would be better with a sherwin williams or the like) for a solution to your problem.





The only other solution I can think of involves removing the drywall, installinf a rock wool or other to-code fire-rated insulation, replacing the drywall and hoping that enough heat is blocked..





My gas insert is retro-fitted into an old brick woodburning fireplace and vented up the chimney, no heat from the pilot reaches the painted surfaces...How do I get the paint on the drywall above my gas fireplace to dry? Quality paint used, heat seems factor?
Try to prop a fan towards the ceiling see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment