Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do i get a rough, bumpy, pitted, old, painted drywall wall smooth?

Though not the answer you're probably looking for it's still the right one. Having myself 'Been there, done that' I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is a no win situation.





My expeirience with this was the result of trying to improve the existing wall before a planned total gutting some two years in the future. Seemed reasonable at the time and I was feeling quite smart. Umpteen days and countless hours later I was finished, not the job but me as I was so fed up! Those contractor size bags of joint compound seem large at first, enough to do a whole house you'd think...NOT!!! Mud, let dry, sand, mud, dry, sand, mud, dry, sand, paint, mud, sand, mud, sand, well, you get the idea.





In retrospect I should have either waited or just ripped it all out but Mr.Smarty Pants that I am I figured it would be a snap as I've done more than my fair share of sheet rocking in the day. DON';T be a Smarty Pants yourself and heed my advice! You have only two options and I'll leave it to you to decide for yourself.





1-Tear that crap down and start from scratch. Not only will it be much faster as well as easier, you'll also be able to adress any insulation issues as well as wiring for extra outlets, phone and cable lines. It was wanting to wait on the latter issues that originally prompted my bright idea but I've discovered that NOTHING remains bright when covered in layer upon layer of joint compound dust.





2-OK, so it's instant gratification you desire? Rock over the top of the existing wall with some 1/4 inch drywall and finish it instead. The 1/4 inch is a lot cheaper than 5/8ths and will save you serious ching while giving an 'As New' apperence when done. Sure, it's a short cut but if you were truly contemplating a major touch up job anyways it might be just the ticket.





Well, that's as good as it gets. Sorry there's no miracle cure but hey, that's life. Hope the info is of some help in formulating a plan and good luck to you no matter which way you eventually go.How do i get a rough, bumpy, pitted, old, painted drywall wall smooth?
sand paper used either with an electric sander or elbow greaseHow do i get a rough, bumpy, pitted, old, painted drywall wall smooth?
Have you considerd skimming over the drywall with a coat of plaster?





http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/PLASTE鈥?/a>





That is what I would do.





You can always try and fill the pitted bits and then give it a good sanding!
Sometimes it can be a lot of work if you dont know where to start
skim over area with finishing compound and let dry, then sand smooth. repeat with second coat if neccessary
Close the area and purchase a electric sander and sand the bumps, ptis and old paint. If, walls are really bad, belt sand the bad areas.
Depends on how much drywall you have to do and what you plan on doing afterward.Skimming is what most people do...that is take a drywall trowel and apply a coat or several if needed let dry and sand/sponge.If the wall is bowed it can be patched or replaced with new dw or some people go for a texture look which can be sprayed using a hopper and air compressor.
i know scrop the old paint of and sand the wall or whatever it is you haver and then buy that glue stuff you put on the wall then you buy your pant and paint the wall
Hi!





I just typed in ';drywall'; on my computer and got a Yahoo! page with a note on the bottom that suggeted using drywall spackle... but there seems to be quite a lot of information... why don't you have a look?
You can either replace the drywall which is cheap if your doing one wall, or you can try to sand it off using an electric sander.

No comments:

Post a Comment