Saturday, February 27, 2010

Can I use drywall primer on a painted wall.?

I removed paneling from my wall. There was paneling glue on the wall. I scraped the bulk of it off of the wall and what was left I sanded it down flat. Now I want to prime and paint. The wall has been previously painted. I already have a can of drywall primer that was purchased about 1 month ago but was never used. Can I use that primer before I paint or do I need to purchase a different type of primer. I would rather not spend money on more primer if I can use the dry wall primer. Thanks.Can I use drywall primer on a painted wall.?
If all the glue has been removed and you have a clear layer of previous paint and is in good condition after sanding ( implying the dry paint isn't chipping off), then you can paint without priming. Can I use drywall primer on a painted wall.?
Read the directions on the primer can. It will tell you what you can topcoat on it. It may try to sell you its own brand but it will still say what goes on top. All the glue must be removed to get the paint to stick even it you need to get below the first part of the paper.
If the 'drywall primer' is something like Kilz, or Zinser, you can go ahead and use it. If it is a PVA primer, then I'd suggest you go ahead and purchase Kilz for this project.





Have Fun
yes you can use the primer you bought. Just make sure that you mix the primer up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment