Friday, February 26, 2010

I have recently patched a hole in my drywall with a kit. Should I paint over it now?

I have patched a hole in my drywall with a kit from Home Depot. It came with a piece of flat metal and a mesh thing to put over it. I spackled over it with a good layer and it has dried, but the mesh/metal part seems to still be noticeable. Should I add another layer of spackle over this or is this normal? Should I just sand what is there and continue to add the primer and paint? Thanks!I have recently patched a hole in my drywall with a kit. Should I paint over it now?
If you've already spackled it once. Put another coat if not two more thin coats. Feathering each one out further until any lump that may have formed is unnoticeable. I typically start with a 4 inch blade to 8 inch blade, finally use a 12 inch blade to get the best results. Waiting between each coat to dry. Then sand it just enough to get a smooth texture. Make sure when sanding on the final layer to blend the edges in with the rest of the wall so you won't notice where the wall leave off and the patch started. Then your ready to paint.I have recently patched a hole in my drywall with a kit. Should I paint over it now?
the metal and the wire mesh should recess below the drywall, then spackled.


until the wire mesh cover it till you have flat even surface. smooth it with


sandpaper. Small area forget the primer, just 3or 4 coats paint
You should put another layer of spackle on as flat as you can and extend the edges at least another 5 or six inches and then when its dry sand with a 10 inch mesh product made to remove excess spackle. Then prime and then paint w/finish enamel.
You should only paint once the patch is even with the rest of the wall. If you can run your hand across the patch and still feel it, you probably need to do more sanding.
The mesh always shows.Next time try drawing a circle around hole with a lid.cut the hole on a bevel.Cut another peice using same lid on a peice of dry wall at a bevel (same angle)will fit hole like a cork.put a screw in as handle and glue the plug in.Next day unscrew the screw and remove top layer of paper that will be sticking out on plug.Spackle over depression and sand lightly then paint.Will never know hole was there.





As for your patch,you'll have to float spackle over and around mesh so doesn't show as a lump.if mesh is hidden,lightly sand and paint.





Hope that made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment