Friday, February 26, 2010

Can I use ceramic tile over drywall (painted) behind my tub?

If you mean a regular tub surround then I d strongly suggest against it. As one poster suggested, water will get behind it and the dry wall will rot.Water will wick through the grout joints.


Average life span of these types done this way is 7 years on a regularly used tub/ shower.


Now if you mean just over the fiberglass surround ( the 18'; above it) then yes you can. Water doesn t get up there as much.


There are ways to water proof this area (lower tub type) and it ll work but for the cost you can use a cement board , properly do it and it ll be cheaper to use cement board..


Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar and check my qualifications there. GLCan I use ceramic tile over drywall (painted) behind my tub?
It can be done, but I would like to inform you that it will not stay intact. Over time moisture will get thru to the sheetrock and cause it to deteriorate. My recommendation would be to purchase Hardy cement board and treated drywall screws and remove all sheetrock behind the area where you wish to install tile. Nail up roofing felt, then cement board and glue the tiles to the cement board.

No comments:

Post a Comment