Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Drywall mud(compound?) over wallpaper or paint?

Ok my FIL likes to help my hubby with house repairs and everyone swears he knows what he is doing-BUT HE DOESN'T! *





So anyway we are insulating/drywalling a room in the basement but to save some money they didn't take the drywall off the interior wall. However it has several layers of wallpaper over top of paint. The paint is probably oil based as it is very old it is also very glossy. The ';plan'; is to just put drywall mud over what doesn't come off, I guess to make it flat? To make new paint stick? I have no clue.





Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Or is this going to end in tragedy like so many other things around here?





And if it is going to work can you tell me how one would go about applying the compound properly (tools, technique, the whole thing). So a) I know what should be done and b) I can do it if they don't get it done soon (its been almost 3 years, and I really need it done before the SECOND baby gets here *sigh*)Drywall mud(compound?) over wallpaper or paint?
I'm a little confused. You have an interior wall in your basement that has multiple layers of paint and wallpaper on it? Or it has paint over wallpaper? Part of the answer to those questions will determine what *I* would do. Wallpaper can usually be removed with a little elbow grease and the right tool (a tool called a Paper Tiger that scores the wallpaper and warm water spray to dissolve the paste). Honestly though, if the wallpaper is in decent shape and not torn up, you can paint right over it! If it's in bad shape, yes you will have to remove it. The only time I ever used drywall mud on a wall after removing wallpaper is if the top layer of drywall was mistakenly torn off when the wallpaper was being stubborn in removal.





Drywall mudding is an art and takes a delicate touch. I usually do that in my house, as my husband is more of the hard labor kind and hates the tedious nitpicky things like smoothing out spackle or cutting in paint along the ceiling or in corners. I'm pretty sure that www.diy.net has video showing how to spackle and/or mud drywall.Drywall mud(compound?) over wallpaper or paint?
I have just been removing wallpaper from my kitchen. If the wallpaper was put on with glue you may have a difficult time getting it all off. If it is dry strippable, spraying with water will loosen it and what doesn't come off with your hand (ie part of the backing ) you can spray again and easily peal off. You must be careful not to dig into the wall or you will have more places to mud. The mudding could take a lot of time if the divots are numerous. You can paint with latex over oil base just not the other way around. Be careful of the fumes.
I would just install thin drywall over it. That would be the quickest and easiest thing to do.





We learned how to plaster and install drywall from the Internet.





http://home.howstuffworks.com/hanging-dr鈥?/a>


http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2insta鈥?/a>


http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/d鈥?/a>
paint
i would ask the pple at home depot


they r good for this kindof stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment