Friday, February 26, 2010

Painting drywall help!?

I just removed all the wall paper in my hall way and would like to know paint over it....but I have a few questions..





1. the glue is all over the wall... can I paint over this or should I sand it? whats the best way?





2. Do I need some sort of primer on the drywall before I paint?





3. How do I put a splatter-type texture on the wall? do I mix something into the paint? do I put it on before I paint?





thanks everyonePainting drywall help!?
Hi...OK so answer to #1 no you cannot paint over the glue.....go get some fabric softener or wallpaper remover, spray it on the glue spots and srape it off with a scraper from the paint dept at Lowe's.... then you need to get some TSP and clean your walls (also found in the paint dept) then the answer to #2 is yes, you need to prime...then #3 there is a particular roller and paint you can buy for that ';textured'; look...also found in the paint dept....go to your local Lowe's and go to the paint desk and someone there will walk you through your project....it sounds like alot, but it really isn't...good luckPainting drywall help!?
I have used the texture in a spray can for vertical walls. It works pretty good for that. Not so hot for ceilings.





I have never had any luck with textured paints.





You can also get texturing tools like those at ';all-wall.com';
I. I would suggest that you get as much of the glue off as you can. I didn't when I took the wallpaper off of our bathroom wall and it's been a pain ever since. To remove look for a solvent at your local hardware store, follow directions.





2. I suggest using a primer before painting. It helps make it more even. Paint covers better and sticks better too.





3. It depends on how large an area. For small areas you can get texture in spray cans%26gt; They work well for smaller areas. You can a small ';hopper'; sprayer, those work well too.





For sure if you are texturing the wall you will want a primer. Make sure the wall is dry before putting on the primer. And when you put primer on, don't soak the texture too much, it will beome wet and it will be ruined.
remove all or the old paper/glue stuff. use drywall knife and drywall mud to float out bad spots. let dry and sand out smooth.





now, for an area this size you will need to use a spray rig, ( a compressor and a hopper), to spray texture, (texture is a thick syrupy mix of dry wall compound and water. mix it in a 5 gallon bucket. you can adjust the thickness as needed but start with very little water and experiment until it is a thick syrup).





when its right adjust compressor to about 110-120 psi, fill hopper no more than half way, (it will be heavy is you fill it all the way). experiment with nozzle until you get a heavy splatter or ';orange peel'; spray. let it set up about 20 to 30 minutes, then take you mud knife and gently knock down the texture giving it the spaltter drag look you want. that is if you want splatter drag. if not, spray a finer orange peel and let it dry....it's hard to explain but that basicly it. shoot me email if you need more info. GL with it.
Remove the glue get a good flexable scaper and hot water, .or go to paint store for remover. Always prime walls before you do anything, Kilz or C.I.L problem solver, you can get roller covers that will give you your textured walls in many paterns, the paint store will sell you the texture material you will need Spray cans Cost to much foe such a big job as walls, get the stuff you mix yourself, good luck rember to use a drop sheet.
Definitely sand the walls before attempting to paint. Sanding is hard work, so I suggest renting a hand sander from your local rental place. Your hands and shoulders will thank you. Then clean the dust from the walls before you do anything else. Do use a primer; you'll get better paint coverage. Not sure about the splatter texture, but the clerks at the paint store are very knowledgeable.
  • scene hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment