Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can I mix paint in with my drywall mud for ceiling texture?

I am doing a drywall project for someone. It is a fixer-up house. When I do the ceiling texture, he has requested that I mix in paint with the texture so that he does not have to paint it later.





My question is, if I am doing a knock-down texture, will the mud still knock down right with the paint in it? If not, he also said I could do an orange peel texture on the ceiling. Am I able to mix paint in with m y mud and do any orange peel?





If I am able to mix the paint in with my mud, how much paint do I mix in?





Thanks in advance for your help. I have been doing drywall finishing for 5 years. I am 24 years of age.Can I mix paint in with my drywall mud for ceiling texture?
yes you can,mix bout 1/2gal paint to 5 gal mud,mix ever so hard til its cream like,use a 3/4 nap roller pad on a 9in, frame,,,if you want orange peel, back roll,if you get really into it, try a small car broom,bout 4in. wide and make a design,,,thats called a textured ceiling..personally i have 19 diffrent patterns,from a figure 8 to a star burst,wish i could help more,i'd like to pass it on,i've retired now%26lt;%26gt;IS%26lt;%26gt;Can I mix paint in with my drywall mud for ceiling texture?
I wouldn't mix actual paint with the mud. There may be some dyes you can use to gain the effect you want. I would think mixing any paint with the mud would mess up the drying and setup time, thus ruining your work.
you can, but the mud work will overpower any sort of tinting, and will not make a uniform finish ( flat or otherwise ) due to the drying rates of the mud texture, if anything it helps as a base for the paint ( you still have to seal / primer regardless before actually painting )
I'm not sure that you would get the right color consistency that you want. I'm really familiar with paint but not so much with drywall mud. It shouldn't affect the knock down, it just might make your mud kinda runny. Hm. That's a good one. One source of info is the paint rep at your local store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Or the paint companies themselves usually have an 800 number on the back for questions like that. Good luck.
You can add color to plaster, I use powders. You can also add paint. For texture, I have used sand mixtures and vermiculite with good results. For a knock down finish I use a regular plaster texture technique, seal it, lightly sand it to knock down the high spots, use a low nap roller for second color, wipe down as needed, unsealed plaster will absorb second color. Experiment first before you apply. You can also use a textur/plaster gun, then paint, then lightly sand high bumps and apply second color. It's tricky, but effective if done right.
Dont do it. Texture,prime, paint. Tell him it wont save any time or money in the long run. Geez I hate working for people who try to cut corners. Another out you could say is I am the drywaller not the painter. Stand your ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment