Thursday, February 11, 2010

I caulked around my shower, but forgot to take the tape off and damaged the paint/drywall.?

I got called away just after caulking the top of the shower, where it meets drywall. I left the painter's tape on. When I pulled it off, it ripped off paint. What is underneth is brown/wood-looking color. The paint is white. Some of the paint was ripped off and some of it is pealing off. It is a big mess. What can I do to fix it? Thanks.I caulked around my shower, but forgot to take the tape off and damaged the paint/drywall.?
The brown underneath should just be paper. When you buy drywall, it has a paper ';shield'; of sorts on either side. It gives it strength and keeps it from cracking. If that's the case it just means you peeled off the paint, no real damage. Since it's down to the outer paper though, you should use a primer before repainting it. Then just use any bathroom paint like PERMA-WHITE. You want something milder resistant, but your local hardware store should carry something you could use and in a smaller container since you won't need much. Good Luck.I caulked around my shower, but forgot to take the tape off and damaged the paint/drywall.?
Didn't pull downwards when removing the tape,eh.You pulled a thin layer of the drywall most outer layer,easy to do,sanding too much can ware to that point.You can apply taping compound(not spackling)to brown areas,slightly over-lapping.Once dry,sand lightly to bring up to just below painted surface.Paint area.Hope turns out good.

No comments:

Post a Comment