Thursday, February 18, 2010

How should spackled and sanded drywall be prepared for primer and paint?

When the spackling and sanding is finished, should the wall be wiped down with a dry rag or a damp rag or sponge to get rid of the fine dust. Will a damp sponge ruin the sanded spackling?How should spackled and sanded drywall be prepared for primer and paint?
Use a dust brush to clean the wall of fine particles before you prime. Better not to use a damp sponge as it could reactivate and mess up the spackle.How should spackled and sanded drywall be prepared for primer and paint?
Heres a little secret...Those swiffer things(dry) actually do a pretty darn good job of taking residual dust off of sanded walls.
I use a damp but not soaking wet sponge and rinse frequently, if you do not rub the spackling it will not hurt it one bit, if you use a dry rag all you will do is move the dust from sanding around..just make sure the mudd is totally dry before wiping down.
I usually throw a dry rag on my pole sander to kick that dust off.
I agree with Judy, I just finished remodeling two rooms in my house complete with new drywall and she is exactly right for preperation before primer. By the way I used Kilz instead of Zinser It seemed to work better. Good luck.
barely damp only shouldn't hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment