Monday, February 22, 2010

My grandson got vegetable oil on my drywall. How can I remove it or can I just paint over it?

Tap the area with a dry cloth first to remove as much oil as possible first. Or lightly wash with Dawn dish detergent ( a grease cutter) and dry the area thoroughly. THEN paint the spot with a heavy coat of KILZ primer (latex is best over latex paint). Allow to dry then repaint. Kilz itself won't solve the problem. The oil will bleed through without a pre-cleaning first.My grandson got vegetable oil on my drywall. How can I remove it or can I just paint over it?
I wouldn't just paint over the oil. First do a liberal wash with detergent and let it dry over night. Then paint. Be sure to use detergent and not soap.


There are (3) basic types of oil. Fats, mineral and vegetable.


Mineral oil is the easiest to remove and fats are the most difficult. Solvents will not remove all types of oils, but detergents will do the job on all three type of oils.My grandson got vegetable oil on my drywall. How can I remove it or can I just paint over it?
This should work,Buy a quart can of clear varnish,several coats.Make sure to give it the correct amount of drying time.This should resolve your problem.I have used this method to cover water stains,an they have never came back through.hope this helps you.
Clean it good with anything that cuts it...........and seal with a shellac or spray can of lacquer( shellac is best ...it drys in about 10 minutes..........I go over color crayons and stains with it all the time.........and touch up paint the same hour. Have fun.......thanks
use a spray bottle of some product to lightly break down the oil. If it was spilled on latex paint, it probaly already got into the sheetrock substance. Clean, seal with kilz or fact similiar and repaint.
Use a quality stain blocking primer. There are a couple on the market that will do the trick. No matter which one you use it will probably need two coats to completely block it out.
Yuck! That's a toughy! Have you thought of wall paper? There are some really neat things that you can do these days with wall paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment